Conference records have been broken with Mid Sweden University hosting the 27th international research conference for the ISDRS. This years conference, for the second year running, is organised digitally and the number of participants have doubled.
- The conference takes place in July, and the preparations are now reaching its peak. For us, this is a great and exciting challenge to arrange a digital conference of this magnitude. At present we are nearing close to 400 participants, this is double the amount compared to the previous years conference. We are hoping the tickets sales will increase further, since we also offer one-day tickets this time around, says Hans-Erik Nilsson, dean of the Faculty of Science, Technology and Media.
The ISDRS conference is organised for the 27the time and gathers researchers from around the world within the field of sustainability. Mid Sweden University took over as host when the intended organiser in Los Angeles withdrew due to the difficulties arranging a large digital event during the pandemic. The registered researchers represent 47 countries from almost every continent. Researchers from low-income countries can participate at a reduced cost.
The theme for this years conference is “How can we accelerate the progress towards the 2030 SDGs in times of crisis?” During the ISRDS conference, many different perspectives on sustainability, including economic, social and environmental, will be presented. ISDRS stands for International Sustainable Development Research Society.
- The day before the actual conference we have organised workshops for PhD students and there has been great interest in participating. 60 PhD students have been admitted and are being supervised by professors and senior researchers during a workshop on the 12 of July. This is a greater number of syudents than ever before, says Volker Mauerhofer, professor and scientific project manager for the conference at Mid Sweden University.
The research conference covers ten different themes with 32 different tracks. 400 research articles will be presented and discussed. There will be at total of 47 sessions arranged using Zoom. In addition, 12 keynote speakers and plenary speakers will participate in the joint program sessions. The twelve guest speakers come from Asia, Europe, North- and South America as well as Africa. Among the speakers are:
- Hans Brunynckx, Executive Director, European Environmental Agency – EEA
- Åsa Persson, Research Director and Deputy Director at the Stockholm Environment Institute.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, Director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, USA.
- Elizabeth M. Mrema, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity – CBD.
- Jane Kabubo-Mariara, Executive Director of the Partnership for Economic Policy.
- Mark Elder, Director of Research and Publications at the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) in Japan.
The three-day conference takes place between the 13–15 of July and is broadcast from a studio at Campus Östersund, Mid Sweden University. The majority of the researchers participate online and present their lectures digitally. Read more about the conference: https://2021.isdrsconferences.org/
For more information:
- Volker Mauerhofer, professor Mid Sweden University, phone + 46 (0)72-581 61 87, e-mail email@example.com (English)
- Catrin Johansson, professor Mid Sweden University, phone +46 (0)76-527 91 54, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inger Axbrink, project manager Mid Sweden University, phone (0)70-393 16 43, e-mail email@example.com